We know an easy way to cut down on calories and fat in coleslaw is to swap the creamy dressing for a vinegar-based one. But there is still hope for those of us who crave the creamy version. Since the mayonnaise is the culprit, that’s the ingredient to replace. By combining a reduced-fat mayo with Greek nonfat yogurt, you maintain the coleslaw’s creamy texture and a bit of the mayonnaise flavor. If the end result is too tangy, however, add a little sugar to balance it out. This coleslaw is great with barbecue or any grilled food. The cold creaminess is great up against hot BBQ spices.
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2/3 cup Greek nonfat yogurt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (freshly squeezed)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Optional: Sugar to taste
- 1-pound cabbage, shredded, or 1 bag coleslaw mix
- Mix the mayonnaise, yogurt, lemon juice, and seasonings together in a liquid measuring cup.
- Taste and balance the lemon juice, salt, and sugar to your own taste.
- Place the cabbage in a large bowl and pour over the dressing. You may want to mix half of the cabbage and dressing at a time to make it easier.
Other Healthy BBQ Side Dishes
A backyard barbecue isn’t complete without a variety of side dishes. But many of them can be loaded with fat and calories. Here are a few healthy versions of summertime favorites.
- Healthier BBQ beans– Bring these along with the coleslaw to your next picnic or cookout. They are perfect together!
- Broccoli turkey bacon salad– Usually this traditional salad has a fair amount of sugar, but this recipe keeps the same flavors while reducing the sugar.
- Cauliflower “potato” salad– No potatoes needed for this low-carb copy of a classic summer side dish. You will definitely get compliments if you bring this to a picnic!
- Low-carb four bean salad– Filled with beans with low amounts of starch, and a dressing that’s been “de-sugared,” this four-bean salad gets a healthy makeover.
Time: 15 minutes | Prep Time: 15 minutes | Cook Time: 0 minutes
Makes: 1 servings (1 cup each) | Calories 74 | Fat 4g | Protein 3g | Dietary Fiber 1g
To access your AWP EAP services, call 1-800-343-3822. Your EAP is here to help with family, work, health and legal issues. EAP Services are provided at no cost and are 100% confidential.
Alliance Work Partners is a professional service of Workers Assistance Program, Inc.
Copyright © 2019 Workers Assistance Program, Inc.