Valencia oranges, aka the summer orange, bring the perfect pop of sweetness and acidity to carne asada fajitas. And bonus points for orange-scented tortillas.
Prep Time: 10 hrs | Cook Time: 20 mins | Servings: 4
Orange Carne Asada
- 1 pound skirt steak
- 1 Sunkist® lime, juiced
- 1 cup Sunkist® Valencia orange, juice and zest
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, stems and seeds removed, minced
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons cumin, ground
- 1 teaspoon coriander, ground
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped fine
- 1 jalapeno, chopped (stem and seeds removed)
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into short thin strips (stem and seeds removed)
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into short thin strips (stem and seeds removed)
- 1 medium red onion, peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- 1 Sunkist® Valencia orange, zest and juice
- 4 tortillas
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- In a container, combine all carne asada ingredients and allow to marinate overnight.
- Remove the meat from the marinade and wipe any ingredients off of the meat.
- Season the meat well on both sides with salt and pepper and allow to sit for 10 minutes.
- Heat a cast iron pan on the stove or grill and cook the meat to a medium rare temperature.
- Allow the meat to rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
- Combine sliced carne asada meat with fajita ingredients (recipe below).
- Zest 1 Sunkist orange over 4 tortillas; heat a pan over high heat and add the tortillas, toast on both sides for about 15-20 seconds each side.
- Add mixture to tortilla and serve.
- In a sauté pan, heat the oil and spices over medium high heat.
- Cook for about 1 minute to toast the spices, add in garlic and jalapeno.
- Stir and cook for another minute, until the garlic and jalapeno are wilted.
- Add the peppers and onions and season with salt and pepper; stir well to incorporate.
- Cook for 10-12 minutes, until the vegetables are soft.
- Remove from heat and add cilantro and Sunkist orange juice.
- Mix in the sliced carne asada steak and toss together.
To access your AWP EAP services, call 1-800-343-3822. Your EAP is here to help with family, work, health and legal issues. EAP Services are provided at no cost and are 100% confidential.
Alliance Work Partners is a professional service of Workers Assistance Program, Inc.
Copyright © 2021 Workers Assistance Program, Inc.