Don’t you enjoy a cold flavored ice cream during the hot summer evenings? It’s a dessert that is equally loved by children as well as adults.
Everyone enjoys eating an ice cream. However, not everyone is aware of its history. We’ve compiled some interesting facts about this delicious frozen treat. Next time you enjoy ice cream with your friends or family, you can impress them with your knowledge.
Let’s take a look at some fun and lesser known facts about ice cream you may not be aware of:
- The origin of ice cream is unknown; however, its first known recipe was written in 1665
- Milk based ice creams were introduced in the 10th century
- It takes 3 gallons of milk to produce a gallon of ice cream
- Chocolate ice cream came much earlier than its vanilla counterpart
- Indonesia and Madagascar are the top producers of vanilla used in ice creams
- Chocolate flavored ice cream is sold the most around the world
- Most ice cream is consumed in the US, whereas Australia and Norway stand second and third respectively
- 9% of milk produced in the entire US is used to prepare ice cream
- More than 90% households in the US consume ice cream regularly
- An average American consumes 48 cups of ice cream throughout the year
- Ice cream was served to the US soldiers during World War II to keep moral high and the end of World War II was also celebrated with ice cream
- The first ice cream parlor in the US was set up in 1776
- When religious scholars forbade the consumption of ice cream sodas on Sundays, ice cream sundae was introduced by ice cream parlors to increase their sale
- Ice cream cones were introduced in 1904
- Ice cream waffle cones were accidentally made when a vendor ran out of ice cream cups and turned to a waffle seller to meet the demands of customers
- On average, you can finish an ice cream cone in 50 licks
- The tallest ice cream was made in Italy that was 9 ft. tall
- When ice cream reaches the top of your mouth, it dilates blood vessels in your brain and creates a brain freeze effect. Hold your tongue against the roof of your mouth to relieve the sensation
- 10% people around the world lick the bowl clean after finishing ice cream
- The creamy texture on ice cream cones appears due to fats
- Ice cream bean is a fruit of Hawaii that has some taste as a vanilla ice cream
- The sale of ice cream significantly increases at times of wars and recession
Ice cream is one of the most favorite desserts worldwide. No matter where you go, you’ll find a vendor, restaurant or ice cream parlor selling different flavors of ice cream. However, you can also order delicious and inexpensive ice cream from the comfort of your home by visiting www.lapperts.com
To access your AWP EAP services, call 1-800-343-3822. Your EAP is here to help with family, work, health and legal issues. EAP Services are provided at no cost and are 100% confidential.
Alliance Work Partners is a professional service of Workers Assistance Program, Inc.
Copyright © 2018 Workers Assistance Program, Inc.